What Is the Standard PCB Thickness
When you select any PCB for any application, we always look at its construction materials, heat resistance, and thermal conductivity. Yes, these factors determine how a PCB will work. Nonetheless, we often forget one important PCB performing factor- the thickness.
The thickness of the printed circuit board also controls its performance and durability. Hence, most manufacturers will follow a standard PCB thickness in their various PCBs. But what is the actual standard for PCB thickness?
Does it vary due to the circuit board application? Or what factors affect the circuit board substrate thickness? And finally, how does it impact the PCB performance?
Let’s find the answer.
Table of Contents
What Is The Standard PCB Thickness?
When we determine the PCB thickness at a standard level, we must realize that the number of layers on a PCB will be the key player in deciding its actual thickness. Since the layers on PCB depend on its application, the PCB thickness will also vary slightly due to its application range.
For instance, some devices will need thicker PCBs, while other devices may require thinner PCB. Thus, the thickness will vary too.
Nonetheless, the industry standard for PCB thickness is 0.063 inches or 1.57mm. This measurement has been a long-term standard for PCB manufacturers ever since printed circuit boards were invented. The reason is quite surprising.
Yes, it was not the industrial needs or device requirements that set the standard thickness for PCB. Instead, it was the plywood sheet thickness that initially determined the PCB thickness. Initially, plywood sheets were used as the substrate of many electronic devices, and these plywood sheets have 0.063 inches of thickness which later become the standard for PCB thickness.
However, more complex devices on the way and invention of better PCB substrates such as epoxy or resin have developed varied thicknesses for printed circuit boards.
Nowadays, the thickness range of PCB differs from 0.008 inches to 0.240 inches. You can choose the exact thickness depending on your applications and device requirements.
Two things directly influence the thickness of PCBs. These factors are-
- Copper PCB thickness:Copper works as the main application space and functioning of the PCBs. So, its thickness directly affects the circuit board thickness as well. The measurement is calculated on an ounce (oz). First off, 1 ounce of copper is spread over in one square feet space evenly. Then, its thickness is calculated, which is approximately 1.37 mils or 1.37 thousandths of an inch.
- Trace PCB thickness: The designer will determine the PCB trace thickness depending on its necessity in different jobs. As electricity passes through the PCB, the trace may get overheat, and the circuit board may get damaged. Hence, the trace thickness needs to be enough to withstand the circuit board overheating capacity.
What Is The Standard PCB Thickness?
FR stands for fire retardant, and thus, FR4 PCB is meant for fire retardant PCB substrate. Since these PCBs are easy to manufacturer and inexpensive, it is one of the most used and popular printed circuit boards in the industry.
The standard thickness for FR4 PCB varies from 3″ to 10″. Its thickness varies significantly because manufacturers and device designers ask for different thicknesses of FR4 PCB for different applications. Also, its thickness depends on the number of layers it has.
The standard thickness of two-layer PCB:
Multiple layers for PCB have become the new trend for device manufacturers since they can dissipate heat better and have high-performing capacity. So, it is essential that you too understand the standard thickness of two-layer PCBs.
Since it has multiple layers, its standard thickness also varies in different layers. For instance, its top solder mask features 0.01mm thickness and the top layer thickness is usually 0.035mm. The bottom layer and bottom solder mask have a similar thickness. But the core thickness is 1.5mm.
The standard thickness of four-layer PCB:
Four layers of PCBs have become popular in the industry lately. The standard thickness of these printed circuit boards is around 0.125”. The bottom and top layersare made using 1-sheet of 1080 and 2-sheet of 2116 copper metal. The core has a 0.093” thickness.
Factors Affecting the Standard PCB Thickness
There are two types of main factors that will affect the printed circuit board thickness. These two main factors are-
- Design factors: These factors will impact the thickness during the PCB manufacturing and design stage. The list includes mostly weight, flexibility, and circuit board size. Also, the number of layers, materials used on the PCB, and copper thickness play a crucial role in determining the real PCB thickness. Next, the operating environment, signal types, and types of vias also fall into design factors that affect the PCB thickness.
- Manufacturing factors: The manufacturing process of the PCB will also determine its standard thickness. The list includes copper thickness, equipment used to drill holes, number of layers, and panels’ method.
How to Choose the Right PCB Thickness
Since different applications and devices will require the various thickness of the PCB, it is essential to know how to fix its thickness. It would be best if you looked at these facts for this purpose-
- First, consider the board weight. Thinner circuit boards will break easily. So, you must go with a thicker PCB. But, thinner boards are preferable for specific jobs.
- Next, you have to look at the PCB flexibility. Thinner PCBs are generally flexible, whereas thicker PCBs are rigid. So, determine whether you need flexible PCB or rigid PCB and determine its thickness accordingly.
- If the device has enough space, a thicker and larger PCB is preferable. Larger PCBs have better heat dissipation with the large substrate. For smaller PCBs, choosing thinner or smaller printed circuit boards is the right option.
- Also, consider the type and number of electrical and electronic components connections you will mount on the PCB. Usually, a thicker PCB is ideal for an increased number of components and connections as they need more space and better heat dissipation.
- The thickness of the printed circuit board must match its impedance level. The impedance is controlled by the dielectric that is used to manufacture the PCBs. Both impedance and PCB thickness need to match for its durability.
The standard PCB thickness was previously 0.063 inches or 1.57mm. But, modern-day PCB has developed different thicknesses for different applications varying from 0.008 inches to 0.240 inches mostly. The layers on the printed circuit board, copper thickness, traces thickness, and the circuit board manufacturing process will control the thickness.
FX PCB has different manufacturing processes for various PCBs, making sure you get the perfect thickness of the PCBs to meet your requirements.
Low Cost PCB Assembly
A printed circuit board (PCB) is the backbone of modern-day electrical, communication, medical and military devices. It has brought breakthrough technologies into possibility which even a decade ago wasn’t considered as reality. However, the cost of PCBs isn’t a cheap one.
In fact, PCB assembly may be pretty costly. Hence, FX PCB has developed and arranged its PCB assembly line to offer you low-cost PCB assembly without compromising its quality. But how do we make it possible?
Also, what is the actual cost of assembling PCB prototypes? This discussion covers answers to all these essential questions regarding PCB assembly costing. Furthermore, we will elaborate on the factors affecting PCB assembly costing.
Table of Contents
How Much A PCB Assembly Will Cost?
The cost of PCB assembly depends on different valuables. However, an average PCB manufacturing cost may be around $10 to $50, or even more. Also, some PCBs are available for less than $10.
Also, PCB manufacturers will set the actual price of these boards. Furthermore, its pricing depends on the type of PCB you want, its construction material, county of origin or production, and size mostly. So, you will need to talk to the manufacturer to know how much each PCB will cost.
Also, you have to add the delivery costing with it to know the real scenario. Also, you must realize that the size of PCBs is not always going to determine its pricing. Instead, it’s the complexity of PCB manufacturing that determines its pricing, mostly.
For instance, smartphones and high-end electronic devices require the most complex PCBs which need more hours of labor. Hence, it costs massively despite being a tine PCB.
Variables Affecting PCB Price
We now know the fundamental pricing of PCBs. But what are the actual factors that affect the costing so variably? The following points should help you realize it thoroughly.
Types of PCB material:
Manufacturers use a wide range of materials to manufacture different PCBs depending on their necessity. The most common materials include fiberglass, solders, and polymer or epoxy inks. Also, the base or substrate is made of different elements too.
Manufacturers use copper, aluminum, ceramic, or other materials. Furthermore, they use silver, copper, or gold as the conductive layer. Thus, its price will depend on the type of material the board has. For instance, the gold-plated conductive layer used in PCBs will be costlier than the copper-plated ones.
The use of different materials depends on the thermal conductivity, heat dissipation performance, and reliability in different sectors.
Board hole sizes
Printed circuit boards comprised of tiny holes. If the board is too thick, it will need accurate and high-end drilling to create these holes. These holes are essential to pass electric signals or messages to different components and other circuit boards.
Since the holes require precision and accuracy, it also contributes to the overall costing of the PCBs.
The size of PCB goes a long way to determine its cost. Bigger boards will need more components and materials which contribute to their costing. However, the size of the boards not always contributes to its higher or lower pricing.
Sometimes, even a smaller PCB may cost more than a bigger one. It will depend on the hours of labor needed to manufacturer the board and its complexity level.
The number of layers:
PCBs are of different kinds depending on their layers. Understandably, multi-layer or double-layer PCBs will cost more than single-layer circuit boards. It happens since a single-layer PCB will need fewer materials and manufacturing time. Also, multi-layered printed circuit boards are highly complex and built for higher-end devices.
Hence, the number of layers of a printed circuit board will determine its cost.
PCB manufacturing is a highly skilled job. Hence, it needs skilled professionals with sufficient knowledge of automated machines. Also, working with inexperienced workers will seriously run the risk of low-quality circuit boards.
Hence, experienced and skilled labor is an integral part of PCB manufacturing. Since it needs such skilled laborers, it obviously affects the overall cost to manufacture these boards. Also, it will vary from one country to another. As American and European laborers receive more wages than Asian laborers, the manufacturing cost of PCBs in China is cheaper than in America or Europe.
Delivery time and order quantity:
If you need a bulk amount of PCBs in a relatively short time you should be prepared to pay more for it. Most manufacturers will demand higher pricing for urgent deliveries since they will need to work overtime and also, accelerate their working speed.
Furthermore, the number of PCBs ordered will also affect its cost. If you order a bulk amount of PCBs the cost for each piece of the circuit board will be much lower. On the contrary, the per piece cost of the PCBs will increase if you only want a few hundred pieces of prototypes.
Low Cost PCB Assembly: How Does FX PCB Make It Possible
First of all, you must understand that low-cost PCBs are a lucrative term but so practical. Hence, FX PCB offers you the most reasonable pricing for all types of PCB boards. We don’t promise to provide you printed circuit boards at the lowest possible pricing while compromising with the quality.
Instead, we maintain steady quality manufacturing and offer you reasonable pricing. Plus, we have our doors open to allow you to set customized pricing. Thus, you can have a quick conversation with FX PCB and see how we both can proceed.
Also, we use automated PCB manufacturing which further helps us to cut the production cost for these PCBs. Additionally, we outsource the essential materials and components directly which helps us to offer the most reasonable PCB pricing in the market.
When you need a huge amount of PCBs, low-cost PCB assembly can be a good option. However, you also need to be ensured about the PCB quality. At FX PCB you will get both, low-cost PCBs with the highest possible quality. Also, our streamlined assembly process helps us maintain the deadline with quick and cheap delivery worldwide. It further adds value to reasonably priced PCBs.
Tips On How To Etch A Circuit Board
This may seem a wild idea, but you can indeed manufacture circuit boards at home. Yes, the process may seem tough initially, but you love when you finish the circuit board manufacturing. The real question is how to etch a circuit board.
Well, we have solved this issue for you. Yes, today, we will guide you through the steps to etch a circuit board at home. The etching of the circuit board means drawing the design on the copper base to find the actual diagram.
We have simplified the circuit board etching process to make it easy for you, even if you are going to try it for the 1st time.
So, without spending much time, let’s dive deep into the circuit board etching process. Aren’t you excited?
Table of Contents
How To Etch A Circuit Board
When you decide to prepare a circuit board at home, you must maintain its accuracy with the right diagram. It is crucial since the circuit board holds multiple electric components linked to durability with electricity. Any flaws in the circuit board design will lead to the death of the device immaturely.
The etching process includes the following steps-
Step 1: Ensure safety
Since you will work with electricity and highly complex components in demanding conditions, you must never ignore safety. Therefore, we recommend you wear goggles and gloves. It will protect your hands from unnecessary cuts and eyes from any flying objects. Furthermore, the etching solution is a skin irritant which makes wearing gloves even more important.
Also, use surgical gloves to work with the circuit board copper base. It will allow you to work with improved accessibility and comfort with the copper substrate.
Step 2: Work in ventilated space
The chemicals and mixing solution used in etching the circuit board are often high in fume and smoke. It can suffocate you, especially if you work in a crowded place. Hence, make sure you work in a well-ventilated space with proper lighting.
Step 3: Prepare and print the design
To etch the design on the copper plate for preparing the circuit board, you will need to print it on paper. You can get the design from the following suppliers-
These manufacturers offer free design. Or, if you have time and skills, you can always work on Adobe Illustrator to prepare your design. But it can be tedious since you have to know precisely where to put which component.
Also, you need to use transfer paper to print the circuit board design. Before you print out the circuit board design, don’t forget to flit it. Otherwise, you will end up getting the wrong direction for the diagram.
Step 4: Sanding and washing the copper base
From this point, you will work with the etching solution and copper plate. So, start the suggested surgical gloves from here. On one side, it protects your hands from the harmful etching chemical and saves the copper plate from any oiling.
Use fine-grip sandpaper to sand off the copper plate. Also, sand the edges with better precision. It removes any debris and provides a smoother surface better for etching. Lastly, use rubbing alcohol and water to wash off the plate. You may even use nailpolish remover instead of rubbing alcohol.
Step 5: Transferring the design into the copper plate
You will require a laminator during this process. Put the design down facing the copper plate. You will need to pass it through the laminator five to seven times at least. You have to continue passing the design and copper plate through the laminator until it becomes hot.
You may even use an iron instead of a laminator. The use of iron is preferable for home use since most homes may lack a laminator.
Step 6: Prepare the solution
Now you will need to prepare the etching solution. The aim is to rinse off the remaining copper from the plate and leave the design only. You will need-
- One part of hydrochloric acid
- Two parts of hydrogen peroxide
You need to prepare enough solution to submerge the laminated copper plate in it. Also, remember that the mixed solution will release chlorine gas. So, it is toxic and highly skin irritant. Moreover, it would be best to prepare the solution in a plastic container to avoid misspells and damage.
Step 7: Start agitating the circuit board
Now, submerge the copper plate made circuit board in the solution. Agitate the circuit board gently for the next 1- to 15 minutes roughly.
Keep your face away since the solution will produce a fume as it gets warmer during the agitation process. Or it may burn your face. Hence, be careful.
Step 8: Continue to string the solution.
You will need to continue the hydrogen peroxide and hydrochloric acid solution for some more minutes. You must stir it until the copper on the circuit board has completely dissolved. It is essential for a flawless design.
The solution will turn into more of a green tinge as you stir it to dissolve the copper. Never take off your goggles and gloves during the entire process.
Step 9: Clean-up the circuit board
Run cold water from the water spout. Place the board under it the running water as you wear gloves. Make sure you have cleaned off the entire etching solution from the copper board. Now, use a clean rag to wash and dry off the board.
In a separate bowl, mix one part of acetone with one part of rubbing alcohol. Use a towel to wash off the board with the cleaning solution. Dip the towel in the solution and rub it on the board gently. As you continue rubbing the solution-mixed towel on the board, it will slowly remove the marker from the inscribed board.
Step 10: Get your circuit board ready
When you continue rubbing the mixture on the copper board, you will soon get the circuit board design inscribed on it. Use a clean rag to wipe off any remaining solution, and the circuit board design will be ready for use.
Etching a circuit board at home isn’t as difficult as it seems. This guideline on how to etch circuit boards at home should make the process easier for you. The only concern of you is maintaining proper safety features since the solution used to etch the copper board will be highly toxic.
Hence, you have to dispose of the solution properly. You must use a good plastic bottle to collect the remaining solution. For the dumping, label it ‘Chemical wastage.’ Also, you can add hydrogen peroxide to it and store it for future use.
Best Led Lighting Circuit Boards Company
LED or Light Emitting Diodes have brought revolutionary changes in the lighting industry with a variety of lights. Also, it has reduced electricity bills quite unthinkably. But have you ever thought about how did LEDs make it possible?
LED uses the most updated circuit board formation that has enabled it to deliver such outstanding performance. However, you will need to find the best LED lighting circuit boards company, if you want the best LED lighting in your devices and other applications.
Various manufacturers develop LED circuit boards to meet the requirements of this ever-growing industry. Hence, selecting the best companies among them may be a tough task for you.
But, don’t worry. Or the article will make it easy for you.
Table of Contents
What Is LED Lighting Circuit Board?
Since you came here we would expect that you understand LED circuit boards manufacturing and its applications. Yet, there’s no harm in describing it shortly to bring back the memories for a deeper understanding.
LED (Light Emitting Diode) refers to a solid-state lighting type. It uses a semiconductor to convert electricity into lighting sources. The LED will reduce the use of electricity by as much as 80% compared to the traditional light bulbs. This way it saves both your money and the environment.
Also, LED lights usually have a 25X longer lifespan than regular light bulbs. It is another extensive benefit of the LED lights.
But how does LED works so efficiently?
Well, printed circuit boards (PCBs) play the most crucial role behind such remarkable performance of the LED lights. The PCBs used in LED is mostly a thin board holding different electrical components and is made of fiberglass, ceramic, metal or other elements. It not only holds the essential electrical components but also uses a substrate to dissipate the heat from the components and offers protection.
The Fundamentals Of LED Lighting Circuit Boards
The circuit board used in LED lighting is available in various formats depending on its different applications. But its basic remains the same both in terms of construction and working criteria. It includes-
The LED circuit board may use different elements at its core or substrate depending on its various applications and requirements. The material used to develop the circuit board core will largely attribute and control its characteristics and ability.
The most common materials are-
- FR4: FR4 is made using epoxy and fiberglass. The element is fire-retardant and is the most common material used to build PCBs’ substrate. Also, it is cheap but lacks efficiency in transferring heat.
- Metal-core: The metal-core circuit board is the most efficient LED base. It is made using aluminum alloy substrate and usually has laminated copper and other metals too. The metal base provides brilliant electrical insulation and thermal conductivity along with efficient heat transferring ability. Naturally, these circuit boards used in LED lighting are the most expensive ones. But they offer maximum protection and enhance the LED functionality also.
- Epoxy-core: Epoxy cores sit right between the FR4 and Metal-core made circuit boards. Usually, epoxy cores are less costly than both FR4 and metal core PCBs. However, it lacks the necessary durability for heavy-duty LED lighting applications.
Since metal core PCBs is the most common component of LED circuit boards and it uses mostly aluminum as its base, let’s check out its common features and advantages.
The aluminum-made core used in LED PCB uses aluminum alloy as its base. The alloy base is made using aluminum, silicon, and magnesium. Since it uses three various materials, you will get the advantages of all three elements in one circuit board used for LED lighting.
The aluminum LED circuit board is commonly made using the following layers-
- First comes the base layer and it is usually made aluminum alloy sheet. The entire PCB design will sit on it. It will dissipate the heat generated during LED applications.
- Next comes the thermal insulation layer. It usually has a ceramic polymer. Its goal is to safeguard the entire LED board from mechanical and thermal damages to prolong its lifespan. It absorbs and disperses the heat to the aluminum base as electricity passes through the electric components on the LED.
- Finally, the actual circuit boards will sit upon the thermal insulation layer. It will contain the necessary electronic components as designed by the LED light manufacturer.
The aluminum LED circuit board could be single-layer, double-layer, or multi-layer depending on its application and users’ requirements. The assembly process uses either thru-hole or surface-mounting assembly to manufacture the LED circuit boards.
The Best Led Lighting Circuit Boards Company
LED PCB or circuit board definitely comes with multiple benefits. But you can avail and extract all of these core benefits only when you work with the leading LED lighting circuit board company. It allows you to take full advantage of the LED applications.
Since the lights built with LED technology are temperature and heat-sensitive, it often requires the most complex construction. Only an experienced and committed manufacturer may offer you such a complex design with minimum flaws. Also, the company must have world-class engineers, workers, and above all, the best equipment and material to manufacture such LED circuit boards of highcomplexity.
FX PCB with its 10+ years of experience in the PCB industry outsources the best PCB materials from the best suppliers. These elements are then tested in our laboratory to ensure maximum quality. Finally, it goes through our extensive and inclusive manufacturing process using the best PCB machinery. And before delivering it to our respected customers, we will check the quality of our produced LED lighting circuit boards in our laboratory again to ensure maximum durability and flawless operations.
FX-PCB is FDA-registered for quality maintenance. Also, you will get both fixed and customizable offers from us. Therefore, you can order either a bulk amount of LED light circuit boards or only a few hundred prototypes just to check our quality.
Why Should You Use LED Light Circuit Boards
- LED lights use around 75% to 80% less electricity compared to conventional light bulbs. The US. Department of Energy reported that the transformation from conventional incandescent lights to LED lights could reduce electricity consumption by 348 tera-watts worldwide by 2027. It will go a long way to protect our planet earth too.
- A general LED light enjoys a 20-25 times better lifespan than regular lights. So, it offers durable performance and also, brings down the maintenance cost. It could be a great value for money for large commercial spaces and industrial areas.
- The regular lights convert 10% of its supplied electricity into light and the rest 90% is converted into heat which is a major loss. LED lights are opposite to it. It generates minimum heat and converts the supplied energy into light more. So, it is more efficient as well.
- LED fixtures are best known for directing light right where it needs to be. So, even a smaller LED light can brighten up a larger space effectively. Plus, it comes in handy when you need a spotlight facility.
- LED lights are pretty compact. It saves massive space and offers a greater lighting facility. So, these lights come as an immediate space-saving deal for commercial and industrial spaces where space management plays a key role.
LED lights are the new-normal equipment. Hence, LED light producers are on the lookout for the best LED lighting circuit board company for their needs. Unfortunately, they’re only a LED PCB manufacturers who can meet the growing demands of the industry with high-quality, durable, and affordable LED circuit boards.
FX PCB is committed to bringing the best LED light circuit board manufacturing service to meet your needs and applications successfully. Our customizable offers will truly serve your needs and that too within an affordable pricing and flawless quality.
Metal Core PCB Manufacturer
Although the LED industry has developed tremendously, quick and effective heat dissipation of the LED boards has remained a concerning issue to most manufacturers. Since the LED board sees heat rise rapidly, it needs to be dissipated quickly to save the circuit board.
The application of metal core PCB has helped solve this LED issue to a great extent. However, not all metal core PCB manufacturers can provide you with high-quality, reliable, flawless, and durable metal core PCBs.
You need to look at a few factors of the manufacturer for metal core PCB to decide which supplier is going to meet the high-end requirements for the devices. Plus, you might be keen to learn the advantages and manufacturing process of metal core PCB briefly.
This write-up comes with the answer to all these super-important questions.
Table of Contents
What Is Metal Core PCB?
A metal core printed circuit board is also referred to as MCPCB or thermal PCB. The name comes from its metal incorporated base. The metal base diverts and dissipates the heat generated in the circuit board quickly and fast to safeguard the electrical and electronic components.
The metal base actually diverts the excessive heat from the more important circuit board components to the less important areas on the same board. These areas include metallic core and heat sink backing locations mostly.
Hence, in short, the metal core PCB is used to manage the excessive heat generated in the circuit board components.
If it is a multilayer PCB, each layer will have an even distribution of the metalcore. For instance, in a 4-layer MCPCB, two layers will be on the top and the other two on the bottom of the metalcore. It will allow the metal core PCB to manage and dissipate the heat evenly and quickly. It protects the components and expands their lifespan.
Metal core PCB has several names in the industry-
- IMS or insulated metal substrate
- IMPCB or insulated metal PCBs
- Thermal clad PCB
- Metal clad PCB
Metal Core PCB Manufacturing
Metalcore PCB comprises different manufacturing stages. Its structure includes-
- Solder mask
- Circuit layer
- Copper layer
- Dielectric layer
- Metal core layer
The copper layer varies from 1oz to 6oz, mostly. The metal layer is used as a heat spreader or sink. Depending on the number of layers the MCPCB has, the copper layer is adjusted to make space for the multiple layers.
If the LED MCPCB is single-sided the copper foil will attach to the dielectric material. It is thermally conductive to dissipate the heat quickly. Then another metal layer will attach with the existing dielectric layer. This metal layer can be-
- Aluminum 5052: It has 138 thermal conductivity (W/mK) and 25 coefficient of thermal expansion (µm/m-°C)
- Copper C1100: Its thermal conductivity (W/mK) is 386 and coefficient of thermal expansion(µm/m-°C) is 17.
- Aluminum 6061: Its thermal conductivity and coefficient of thermal expansion are respectively 167 and 25.
The manufacturing tips of MCPCB includes the following suggestions-
- If you plan to develop single-layer SMT designs, the design should follow the standard single-layer PCB construction. You don’t need to experiment with it.
- For 2-layer MCPCB there will be an aluminum core inside. The manufacturing process including pre-drilling and which is highly costly. The other steps include filling up the gap with insulation and then, finally, re-drill the holes. These plated through holes are used to avoid shorts.
- If the MCPCB comprises 2 or more layers, it should follow the standard PCB manufacturing process. It uses an essential thermal dielectric layer instead of the standard FR4 layer. It also has a laminated metal plate. Manufacturers will attach it to the bottom of the layer. It is used as a medium for thermal transferring to keep the components safe.
The metal core PCB is a brilliant solution when it comes to cooling off multi-layer
The Best Metal Core PCB Manufacturer:
You should already realize that manufacturing MCPCB isn’t an easy-going task. Hence, you must opt for the right metal core printed circuit board manufacturer. It will help you expand the lifespan and quality of your produced devices.
- The manufacturer must use premium aluminum or copper as the dielectric material. FX PCB uses only the laboratory tested and premium copper or aluminum. It will withstand the excess heat to protect the circuit board components.
- The manufacturer needs to have proper experience in different PCB producing. If the manufacturer lacks experience, it would fail to identify the needs of the growing metal core PCB industry. FX PCB with its 10+ years of experience in the PCB industry excels in producing various types of MCPCB.
- The manufacturer needs to deliver the ordered supplies within the timeframe. Also, the supplier should have flexible schemes for both bulk amounts and customized orders.
FX PCB promisesto offer the best budget-friendly metal core PCB schemes without any drop intheir quality and performance. Hence, you can expect the best MCPCB manufacturing with us.
Advantages and Applications of Metal Core PCB:
The most practical benefits and advantages of MCPCB includes the following ones-
- The metal core has higher thermal conductivity. So, it dissipates the heat quicker.
- The metal base will control the heat of the components for better IC management.
- Metal core PCBs use copper or aluminum instead of ceramic core. So, the metal core PCB is lighter than most other types of PCBs.
- MCPCB is manufactured from non-toxic metals. It is also safe for health. So, you can use them safely with any device.
- The metal-clad is more durable and thermally conductive compared to the epoxy bases. So, you can depend on them for long-lasting applications.
The applications of metal core PCB include-
- In LED for general and backlight units
- In automotive industries especially for hybrid cars
- Devices used in power supplies such as converters, switching regulators, and voltage regulators.
- In solar panels and motion control sensors.
- The solid-state relays also use the metal core PCBs.
Metal core PCBs have broughta revolution in the printed circuit board industry, especially, in LED devices. But for the best devices, you also need to opt for the right metal core PCB manufacturer. You can rely on FX PCB to get your right and required MCPCB supplies.
Also, the metal core PCBs are highly dependable for heat-dissipating and heat management to prolong the lifespan of devices. So, it is the future of the PCB industry.
LED PCB Manufacturer
The expansion and unthinkable development of PCB technology has seen breakthrough products in the market and the LED PCBs is one of them. Nowadays, LED printed circuit boards enable manufacturers to develop and design an array of products that even a decade ago were not in existence. And it has seen massive demand for LED PCBs.
Following the trend, different LED PCB manufacturer has tried their luck in the market. But not all of these LED printed circuit board manufacturers are reliable and may offer you versatile PCBs for LED. So, to make your decision easier we dedicated this write-up to the development, uses, and ways to find the right manufacturer for LED PCBs.
If you need bulk or a few pieces of LED PCBs, but don’t know where to dig in, this article will be the goldmine for you. So, let’s get to it.
Table of Contents
What Is LED PCB?
LED PCB is one of the breakthroughs and latest technologies in the printed circuit board industry. Hence, we must understand the actual meaning of the LED PCB. It will help you know how the LED board works in its real-life application.
So, start with LED that means Light Emitting Diodes. It has semiconductor diodes. When you solder these LEDs on using soldering materials on the printed circuit board, the board will illuminate with the added light. Thus, the LED PCB refers to a printed circuit board with LEDs soldered into it.
But soldering the LED on the PCB isn’t the only importance of this high-tech product. There’re important properties of the board too. Manufacturers usually use a thermal heat sink along with the ceramic base for these circuit board production.
The thermal heat sink works with the ceramic base to reduce the temperature and propels the electric signals to intensify the circuit board efficiency. The heat sink and the ceramic base are attached much like a chip and soldered into the printed circuit board. It connects electrically with the board and passes the light.
The temperature control of the LED PCB is extremely crucial since these boards tend to get overheated in quick time. Thus, manufacturing the LED PCB needs special technology to control the cooling heat capacity and not all manufacturers can handle it. Only a handful of PCB manufacturers such as FX PCB have the right technology to tackle the cooling heat impact of this high-end circuit board.
FX PCB uses metal-core circuit boards to produce the LED PCB for its heat conductivity. Also, we will use Aluminum PCB mostly because aluminum has high thermal conductivity. Thus, the dielectric metal easily and comfortably dissipates the extreme heat to keep the LED board cool and efficient.
LED PCB Manufacturing Steps and Process:
When you want to get the best LED PCB manufacturer, you need to dive into the manufacturing process and understand it properly. Otherwise, you will not find the manufacturer properly.
- Firstly, the properties and materials need to be assembled properly for the PCB only. If you are unsure about which materials to source and from where FX PCB is always ready to offer you the best ones for the LED PCB. Once the manufacturer has all the components ready, they will assemble them using the conventional assembling process.
- PCB manufacturers might provide you with a prototype of the circuit board and ask whether or not it will work for your requirements. When you approve the prototype, the manufacturer will begin the massive production.
However, you need to look at a few points for the manufacturer of the LED PCB-
- Decide the number of layers you will need for the LED PCB. These are available mostly in one-layer, two-layer, and four-layer designs. The four-layer PCB LED is applied mostly to create the outdoor screens.
- The importance of lumen in the LED PCB is highly important since the main duty of these boards is to create lighting. Manufacturers usually apply ‘super white solder mask’ technology to achieve the added lumen.
- You must also ask the manufacturer to add more lights to the circuit board. It will depend on the size of the board mostly.
Also, you can get hybrid LED PCBs if you need them. You need to clarify the manufacturer to get the hybrid ones in proper conditions. A hybrid LED circuit board has one side made of a standard metal (aluminum) base and the other side has a non-thermal material.
Advantages of LED PCBs:
Different types of LED printed circuit boards bring different benefits for the users. The most common advantages may include-
- Hybrid LED PCBs with their double siding is one of the most rigid circuit boards. Hence, these are more durable than most other circuit boards.
- PCB with LED will offer you, the manufacturer,different lighting equipment. You will find their uses in medical, lighting, and even in military sectors.
- Flexible LED PCBs offer supreme flexibility and also saves money and space with their advanced properties.
Applications of LED PCBs:
The possible applications of the LED soldered PCBs are overwhelming. It includes-
- The medical sector has several applications of the LED PCB. The lighting in the surgery room is more of LED PCB for its efficiency and bright lighting. Also, different medical equipment uses these boards too.
- Telecommunications sectors also use LED PCB mainly for its high heat-dissipating ability and efficiency. Also, telecommunication devices use these boards in the screen and display for space-saving and durable applications.
- The automotive industry has integrated LED PCBs as their inseparable part. You will see these boards in the indicator and brake lights of most automobiles.
- ICT and tech industries also have massive applications of the LED PCB. Modern-day PCs and laptops use these boards to minimize the heat and enhanced the device lifespan.
- The aviation industry has a great application of Led printed circuit boards. The lights, indicators, and interior décor depend heavily on the LED boards.
Tips on Choosing the Right LED PCB Manufacturer
- The PCB manufacturer must meet your requirements for the LED PCB correctly. It includes the color-coding, power rating, and appropriate dimensions of the holes.
- You must be assured that the manufacturer will design, develop and deliver the circuit boards in the shortest possible time. In such cases, FX PCB is reliable with its fastest delivery rate.
- LED PCBs are not so cheap. Hence, you need to get a manufacturer who will at least keep the costing reasonable. Also, the manufacturer must have the flexibility to supply bulk or customized orders on time.
LED PCB is the latest breakthrough in the circuit board industry. When you get the best LED PCB manufacturer such as FC PCB, your device making will become easier and comfy. Also, our LED PCBs are made using high-end soldering technology to reduce the heat impact. Thus, the LED circuit boards offer durability and lasting performance too. Also, with these versatile applications, these printed circuit boards are the future of the PCB industry.
Custom PCB Board Manufacturer
When you 1st start developing your device, you may need to shift wiring and component set up frequently before you find the fine-tuning. The printed circuit board with its rigidity and flexibility will allow you these component substitutions and wire shifting thanks to its highly customizable design.
Here, we will discuss the ins and outs of a custom PCB board, so you know how to get your perfectly customized printed circuit board. Also, we will show how you can cut down the cost of manufacturing printed circuit boards without compromising the quality.
Furthermore, we will show the techniques to manufacture custom circuit boards easily for DIY and hobbyists for some easy-going projects.
You must understand that when you have the flexibility to translate the one-off circuit board project into a fully tailored PCB design, you may develop different device designs on it easily. Therefore, you will see how custom boards help you in multiple ways from cost-cutting to avoid technical difficulties.
Table of Contents
What is Custom PCB Board?
First off, let’s clarify the definition of the PCB or printed circuit board. It consists of an insulating layer that is thick and rigid. You will find the conductive traces both on the upper and lower side of the insulating layer.
The insulating layer stops the malfunctioning of different electrical and electronics components on both sides for superior performance. Also, you connect the conductive traces on both sides via holes, if need be. So, PCBs come with easy flexibility and rigidity to develop any device using their unique diagram.
You can customize the PCB design to prepare your circuit design and PCB Assembly to work on them for your devices. The benefits of custom PCB are that you can choose the material of the insulating layer and order for the tailored conductive traces that meets your project requirements.
How to Develop Custom PCB Board
As a hobbyist, manufacturing your 1st printed circuit board isn’t going to be easy. It will need several trial and error tries and only then, you will be able to truly get your customized circuit boards.
First off, you will need to layout the required PCB in its schematic view. You will need a canvas for it on which you will put all the necessary components. The components will come from mainly a component library. It is included within the software design to build the custom circuit boards.
When you layout the components on the canvas, you will have to draw lines between the pins. It will represent the connections. The good thing is that for each part number of the components you have the freedom to choose from multiple options for arrangement.
The ability to choose from different components and parts numbers mainly come from the fact that these components come in various packages. The most common of them is the Dual In-Line Packaging (DIP) and System In-Line Packaging (SIP). Hobbyists will always prefer the SIP and DIP over the single-line packaging although these are usually chunky and a little bit expensive.
Also, DIY workers and hobbyists choose DIP and SIP components because these are easily found in hardware shops. Furthermore, these components are easier to handle than the surface mount components. The surface mount components are used mostly for commercial purposes and also, need a higher degree of skills for handling them properly.
When your layout is ready, it’s time to move to the next step. At this time you may want to add the required ground or power signals along with the connections. But it is not always necessary.
FX PCB has a big component library that allows the manufacturer to arrange these interconnections and component setups better. Also, you may get the custom printed circuit boards readily available from us if you don’t want to build them.
Anyways, when your layout is entirely ready ensuring that everything is placed right where it needs to be, you need to check the setup. This is known as Electrical Rule Change (ERC) The ERC will highlight the common glaring problems of the PCB setup including wire connections.
You may switch to the other side of the PCB layout once you are satisfied that the circuit board has no errors in connection and design. You will see that the components on the board are arranged randomly instead of any systematic orders. As the wires aren’t connected with the pins, you need to move the components safely to arrange them.
When the layout design is completed on both sides, you can give the printed circuit board a final check. It is known as the Design Rule Check (DRC). You can upload the custom circuit board design and start working on it practically once it passes the DRC checking successfully.
The top is covered with silk-screen lettering. It allows the device manufacturer to quickly identify the number of the different parts and which component is placed where.
FX PCB Builds Various Custom PCB
FX PCB excels in printed circuit board designing for the past 10+ years. We have experience in making aluminum, ceramic, flex, rigid, and rigid-flex PCBs of all sorts. Our design layout comprises from the simple one to the most complex that fulfills the needs of both hobbyists and professionals.
Also, we permit you to find the right-sized printed circuit board that fulfills your necessity unlike forcing you to choose from our preplanned designs. Our flexible offerings with competitive pricing enable you to choose your right circuit board with the best customization.
Last but not least, whether you need bulk orders for the custom circuit boards or only a few hundreds of prototypes, we deliver them all in the shortest possible time. So, you won’t have to bargain to get your needed numbers of PCBs.
Custom PCB boards offer you to build various devices easily and quickly. If you are unsure about your circuit board skill, you can always get the PCBs from a reputed manufacturer such as FX PCB. You will love how these customized printed circuit boards bring flexibility and freedom to your circuit board applications for greater applications.
PCB Assembly China
PCB assembly or PCBA is an integral part of developing various prototypes of different devices before you build the actual one for people. Also, PCBA comes with the fully integrated and arranged electric and electronics components on the printed circuit board allowing you to quickly arrange the device’s main components.
If you are looking for the best PCB assembly China, you need to look at a few factors closely. The manufacturer should provide you the detailed design of the assembled printed circuit board. Also, it needs to be computer-operated to minimize errors.
Considering all these we have decided to introduce you to the best features of PCBA manufacturer in China and how you should deal with them.
So, let’s get it on straight.
Table of Contents
What is PCB Assembly?
Since you came here, FX PCB expects that you already know about the definition and uses of PCB assembly. Yet, it’s not a bad idea to recall what we have always read in textbooks or know in practical for some quick understanding.
Generally, printed circuit boards (PCBs) are only the base to conduct and transfer electric signals and minimize the heat by dissipating it evenly using the substrate. It doesn’t have any electronic component and so is often referred to as the bare circuit board.
The PCBA, unlike the PCB, is fully equipped with various electrical and electronic components such as resistors, Integrated Circuits (ICs), transistors, capacitors, etc. The PCB assembler will use the computer-operated system to create the actual design and will use to automatically assemble the necessary components on the bare PCB.
That’s why a PCBA manufacturer in China should provide you with the detailed guideline and design of the PCBA so you know which components have been installed where. Otherwise, you won’t be able to work on the PCBA to create your device.
Why PCB Assembly China:
China with its massive labor force, cheap costing, and fastest outsourcing capacity have become the hub of almost all electrical and electronics business giants. Following the trend, the PCB manufacturer in China has developed tremendously.
Similarly, PCB assembly in China has become the fastest-growing market and leading the world in PCB assembly for different sectors. From simple communication devices to the most complex medical or military devices, Chinese manufacturers develop the best PCBA for all.
PCB assembly in China will give you the following benefits-
Easy Outsourcing Facility:
Chinese PCB manufacturing market is growing fast. Thus, various PCB assemblers are rapidly advancing in the market. This gives you the unique opportunity to explore the wide market and find the best suitable option to get your PCB assembly done.
With several options, you can bargain better and know that every PCBA manufacturer will try to deliver the best product to you. So, it gives you a brief edge in the market.
Perhaps, the best benefit of assembling PCB in China is its low cost. Nowhere in the world, you will get such cheap pricing for the quality PCBA as in China. Just like FX PCB commits to provide you the best PCB assembly at highly competitive pricing.
You will indeed get some profitable quotations for assembling PCB in China. It will help you develop the devices at the least pricing. So, you should stay ahead of the competitors and set your device pricing fairly as PCBA assembly from China will offer you the luxury to play with the price.
Wide Options to Explore:
Chinese PCBA market is growing fast and quick. And each PCBA manufacturer has skills of different sets in various categories. Therefore, you get the liberty to explore the open market and choose which PCB assembler meets your requirements.
Also, a wider market with the experienced manufacturer means you can get higher reliability of products from them. From the aluminum PCB assembly to ceramic PCB assembly, these PCBA manufacturers from China are ready to offer you everything you need, at a cheaper price and faster delivery too.
Therefore, you are free to choose the desired PCB assembler and see your business growing.
FX PCB Provides The Best PCB Assembly in China:
FX PCB with its 10+ years of has been feeding multiple renowned companies with the best PCB and PCBA to meet their requirements. We are committed to offering you the lowest pricing, fastest delivery, and tailored plans.
Also, whether you need a bulk amount or a few hundred PCBA prototypes, we are ready to deliver it to your doorstep.
Industry-Leading PCB Assembly Supplier:
FX PCB has been supplying various PCB prototypes and fully assembled PCBs to cater to the need of different device manufacturers. With our 10+ years of experience in PCB assembly, we look forward to being the ultimate assembler in China.
Our professional engineers and workers are ready to deliver you the best PCBA with the integrated design so you can quickly work on them.
FX PCB has automated its PCB assembly so you can get the least errors in the assembled circuit boards. Our automatic manufacturing not only produces the purest PCBA but also offers you a detailed design. It makes your device manufacturing easier and faster.
Also, our AI-based PCBA designing software exhibits the best performances to bring you the best results shortly.
Cheaper Price and Worldwide Delivery:
We not only fabricate the PCB and their assembly but also do it on competitive pricing. We make sure you get the highest-quality PCB assembly at the lowest possible price. Also, we are ready to ship the PCBAs worldwide at the lowest cost. Thus, you get double benefits working with FX PCB.
What do you need? Do you need only a few hundred PCB assembled fully? Or, do you want a bulk amount of several thousands of PCBA? Our flexible plans are easily customizable depending on your manufacturing requirements and budget. So, you will never feel short of proper plans for getting the best PCB from FX PCB.
PCB Assembly is essential for most communication and electronic devices. Thus, FX PCB as the premier PCB Assembly in China ensures you the best assembly, fastest delivery, and least errors. If you want to get your business to go, contact us to get your desired PCBA prototypes at your doorstep.
Flexible PCB Manufacturer
Flexible PCBs with their bending ability have become the part and parcel of the electronics and communication world. Its flexible properties of the materials enable you to arrange the printed circuit board and other essential components the way you want in various patterns.
However, you have to look for the right flexible PCB manufacturer who can offer you the best flex PCBs with the most durability and fewer errors. The manufacturer must ensure that even with such flexible properties, the printed circuit board doesn’t break down prematurely.
Also, the manufacturer should provide you with the detailed design guideline and pattern of the printed circuitry so you can build your devices on it quickly and perfectly. As your premium solution to all PCBs and PCBAs, today we will discuss the benefits of flexible PCB and how you should find the appropriate manufacturer for this job including its quality, manufacturing process, and what to expect.
Table of Contents
What Flexible PCB Means?
We assume that you after being several years in the PCB, electronics, and communication industry, know the meaning and building procedure of flexible PCBs.
Yet, there’s nothing wrong with going through a short definition. It helps, always.
The flexible printed circuit board refers to a circuit board arrangement with its materials and elements having flexible properties. The overlay can be with or without any flexibility. The main idea of the whole flexible arrangement is to offer you the best PCBA setup with the circuit board and the all necessary components.
The flexibility will enable you to utilize the circuit board patterns more efficiently than the rigid ones. So, it allows you to create and manufacture more complicated devices easily and shortly.
Advantages and Benefits of Flexible PCBs
Flexible PCBs haven’t had been introduced in the printed circuit board industry for too long. Yet, it has already brought revolutions in the circuit board industry. Thanks to its multiple potential benefits, the flex PCBs have become the apple of the eye for most PCB manufacturers and those who work with the PCBs in different sectors.
- Space saver: The key benefit of flexible PCB includes its ability to save space. If you compare it with the ordinary circuit board arrangement, it takes only 10% space of the regular PCBs. Its compactness also boosts tighter bending properties for durability. Moreover, you can package and ship more circuit boards at less cost.
- Less costly: Flex PCBs with their space-saving design are the least costly circuit board you will find. As it has a compact size, the manufacturer can transship more circuit boards in one packaging. It also needs less substrate material. Therefore, the cost is cut down considerably.
- Developed capabilities: Flexible printed circuit boards are one of the most compatible PCBs in the industry. It is workable and usable nearly with all electrical components and connectors thanks to its flexible materials. Furthermore, you will enjoy the easy assembly of the components due to its increased flexibility.
- Better durability: The most lucrative advantage of flexible PCBs is their durability, particularly, in extreme conditions. Its flexibility enables the board substrate and elements to absorb and work at high-temperature. Also, it shows good resistance against chemicals and harmful radiation to enhance durability.
- Great reliability: The flexible PCB is made with fewer interconnections among the substrate and other components. So, there are fewer contact crimps and solder joints. Thus, with reduced space for failure, you may enjoy extreme reliability with the flexible PCBs.
The Qualities of The Best Flexible PCB Manufacturer
You might be tempted to get the flex PCBs for your device manufacturing with all these superlative benefits of the flexible circuit boards. Thus, you have to get the job done through a PCB manufacturer who actually excels in manufacturing the best flexible PCBs in the market.
But how do you identify the right flex PCB manufacturer?
Here are some inherited qualities that a good PCB manufacturer for flexible printed circuit boards should own. It includes-
- The manufacturer must be able to produce various flexible PCBs including Flex PCB one-sided, two-sided and multi-layered. Also, it should know the art of manufacturing rigid-flex PCBs to meet your requirements.
- The manufacturer must provide a detailed design of their PCB so you can quickly set the right components over the base to build the devices. If the manufacturer fails to provide the entire design you must avoid them.
- The flex PCB producer should be able to deliver both bulk and small amount orders easily. It means the manufacturer must come with customized offers for you.
- They must clearly provide you with detailed guidelines on their flexible PCB manufacturing process. Only the best manufacturers such as FX PCB will be able to offer you a detailed process of the manufacturing steps for the flex PCBs.
- The manufacturer should have proper expertise in developing various PCBs along with flexible ones. It will help them produce better quality circuit boards.
FX PCB Manufactures the Best Flexible PCB
FX PCB has been manufacturing different types of PCBs for the past decades. We excel in producing the best flexible PCBs both in small and bulk amounts. Whether you need only a few hundred flexible PCB prototypes or thousands of PCBs, we are ready to deliver it on time. You can discuss the requirements with us and get your tailored project.
Also, we manufacture multiple types of flexible pri8nted circuit boards. The list includes-
- Flex PCB 2
- Flex PCB 3
- Flex PCB 4
- Rigid Flex PCB 3
We produce the circuit boards in both single and double panels for mass and small productions. We use the OSP and ENIG surface coating for the flex circuit boards which are the industry norms. Also, we are experienced at both PCB and PCBA manufacturing.
Thus, you have the luxury to get the fully assembled flex PCB with a detailed automated design. It would help you build the devices with the quickest possible time. Therefore, you can truly depend on the FX PCB to get your flexible PCBs and boost your business.
The flexible PCB manufacturer must be good at providing you with the best quality including materials and designs. The printed circuit board must be high-temperature resistant and withstand chemicals and radiation successfully.
FX PCB testes their flexible circuit boards closely to make sure that it is blemish-free and durable. Also, our ability to merge different circuit board designs will help you building the devices without error. So, you must contact us if you wish to get the best flexible PCBs with the best value for money.
Types of Printed Circuit Boards
PCB or Printed Circuit Board is the base of any electrical device. The board is itself self-contained and has a heat-dissipating substrate. It dissipates the heat from the inter-connected electric components that sit on the circuit board.
Depending on the construction procedure, there are many types of printed circuit boards in the market. It depends on the number of layers the printed circuit board has, its flexibility, and rigidity. Thus, there’re mainly six types of PCB in the electric and electrical industry.
Each of these printed circuit boards comes with its unique benefits. Its design and advantages will allow you to know where to use the PCB.
So, you must know the different kinds of printed circuit boards and their benefits for better improvement of your device. And we will do the same today.
Here, we present the six common printed circuit board types and their usage advantage.
Table of Contents
The Types of Printed Circuit Boards
A PCB holds various components in its holes. These holes are connected using the copper track and each PCB type has a specific design. Its design will determine where and how can you use the printed circuit board.
1. PCB Types According to the Number of Layers it Has:
The printed circuit board is designed in layers. It can be single, dual, or multiple layers. These have, thus, three classifications of printed circuit boards.
As the name suggests the single-sided printed circuit board is made with one layer of the substrate. Thus, it equips with one layer of the metal base.
One end or side of this printed circuit board has a thin metal coating. The coating is often made of copper because of its excellent electrical conductivity. On the top of this copper layer, you will see a protective solder mask.
Finally, it has a silkscreen coating which is on the top layer. It marks the different elements on the PCB. It accommodates various electronic components on its single layer.
You will see its application on easy electronic components mostly. Also, it has a pretty simple design and construction idea. So, beginners will kick off their PCB manufacturing with this single-layer PCB. It is the cheapest of all printed circuit boards and produced in mass for its cheaper price.
You will see its usage in electronic toys, relays, and power sensors.
- It can be produced in large volume
- The cheapest of all PCBs
- Used in simple circuits
Unlike the single-layer PCB, the double-sided PCB has metal conductive layers on each substrate. That’s why it got the name dual-layer printed circuit board. Also, electrical components are attachable on both sides of the substrate. It enables the double-sided PCB to be used in complex electronic devices.
So, it is no wonder that the dual-layer PCB is more popular and familiar than the single-sided PCB. Its holes will allow the manufacturer to set and attach the electronic components from one side to another with a good heat dissipation facility.
It uses mainly two mounting techniques to connect the components on either side of the PCB. These mounting techniques are-
- Surface Mount Technology (SMT): The leads will be soldered directly on the board. It doesn’t use wire feeding.
- Thru-hole technology: It uses leads, aka, wire feeding to mount the elements on the board.
Thesedays, modern manufacturers prefer SMT because it allows you to mount several components in a smaller place. So it saves space. You will see its use in many modern-day electronica and electric devices. It includes smartphones, amplifies, test equipment, etc.
- SMT mounting saves space
- Usable in complex devices
- Wide range of applications
The PCB with multiple layers means it has more than two copper layers on the substrate. Since the number of layers increases, the PCB complexity and capacity also improves massively. So, it is usable in complex devices which need a densely printed circuit board with more elements and a smoother heat dissipation facility.
The extra layer of this PCB is added beyond the other two substrate sides on the top and bottom end. Its thicker configuration will allow the manufacturer to develop compound designs with PCBA for use in different devices.
The additional layer works as the power planes in this type of printed circuit board. On one end it supplies the power to the circuit and on the other end, it reduces electromagnetic interface. There will be many signal levels at the middle of this power plane or extra layer. It decreases the growing EMI (electromagnetic interface) level and allows the device to work with enhanced efficiency.
- With added layer, it increases design flexibility
- Suitable for high-speed circuits.
Enhanced space for power supply and conductivity.
2. PCB Types According to Their Rigidity:
Printed circuit boards can be rigid or flexible. Also, some manufacturers produce rigid-flex PCBs which have both flexibility and rigidity for versatile use. The classifications include-
Rigid printed circuit board comes with a solid base fabricated from solid metals. Since it is made from solid materials, you can’t bend it. Thus, there’s less chance of the circuit board twisting and breaking down in the middle of your device manufacturing.
The most common material used for the substrate of rigid PCB is fiberglass. The fiberglass has a high amount of solidity while still is on the lighter side. Some users will also refer to it as the inflexible printed circuit board.
The best example of these boards the motherboard used in your computer or laptops. The components on the board are marked clearly. So, you know which component is where and it makes the board maintenance easy.
- It is compact and solid
- Usable in compound devices
- Easy to maintain and repair
This kind of printed circuit board is just the opposite of what you read in the rigid PCB section. The substrate material used in flexible PC is not solid rather a bit flexible. The PCB is available in different layers that we described in the previous sections. So, you are at liberty to choose from the single, double or multi-layer flexible PCBs.
Also, such availability will relieve you from the electrical component assembly on the flexible base. You will see its use in satellites, because of its ability to restore massive wiring. It also saves massive space due to compact engineering.
- Reduces the weight of the board and saves space
- Usable un high signal tracing for compactness
- Best suits in places where temperature and thickness is important
This printed circuit board type blends the benefit of both flexible and rigid PCBs with great construction techniques. It is often a multi-layer printed circuit board. The primary design is a rigid PCB which is then attached with the flexible PCB.
- High-precision construction
- 60% lighter than regular PCBs
- Used in military ad medical devices
Here we described the six main types of printed circuit boards. But the classification is not limited here. Some people will classify the PCBs according to the material used for its substrate which includes copper, aluminum, fiberglass, and ceramic.
Another two important types include aluminum-backed and high-frequency PCBs. Aluminum-backed PCBs with their superior heat dissipation capacity are used in power supplies and LEDs. The high-frequency PCBs, on the contrary, are used in microchips and communication devices. You can easily get all these printed circuit boards from FX PCB. We deliver these prototype PCBs both in bulk and a small amount to meet your project needs.